I am a hand-me-down owner of a large vegetable patch dedicated to many varieties of kale at our home. One of the many things the previous owner had loved and cared for when they were here.
And even with my minimal care which is mostly trial and error based, the kale is flourishing! Now the only problem is I have to find more ways to use up the kale and fast! :)
I make kale daal, going to try kale paratha, have a favorite quinoa and kale mediterranean salad with almonds (recipe coming soon!) but the one tried and trusted kale recipe we have come to love is this baked kale chips!
These chips are nice and crunchy and you can play with seasonings a bit to what you like. Believe me you can't eat just one! But unlike other chips, in this case it's guiltless grazing, cool, right? :)
These are super easy to prepare and are very nutritious and healthy snack. I make two baked tray full of kale chips over the weekend and keep a bowl full of chips right on the kitchen table which is the perfect place to snack around.
There are many other ways to use up the chips too: I crush the chips and add them to rice or salads sometime for color and texture. They go really well with morning oatmeal or smoothies. But really they almost always seem to vanish themselves right off of the bowl :)
Making them is easy:
- Take 4-5 large curly kale leaves and using hands tear the leaves into small pieces
- Wash the leaves well and dry them *completely* (drying takes time, but this is very important so take your time)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and add the kale leaves in a thin layer (don't overcrowd otherwise you won't get the crunchy effects)
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and paper and using your hands ensure the leaves are well coated with oil.
- Bake for 12-15mins (12 mins will give you moderate crunch with still a few soft bits; 15mins will be super crunchy)
- Take off of oven and eat!
Sometimes I also drizzle with lemon juice after they are out of oven for a tarty taste! Or sprinkle some chili flakes before baking if I am making it for adults.
Either way, so healthy and quick... this is our #1 way to enjoy this superfood!